2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Serpentine Belt Diagram

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Need some help.
My '05 WK 5.7 Hemi serpentine belt broke today. I installed a new one but it keeps coming off the water pump. Checked everything is seated correctly. The only thing I can find is one of the pulleys has a grove in it. I have pics but it looks like I can't attach them yet... I'm not too mechanical so I appreciate anyone's help!
Thanks!
John

robpp

·

Long Live the Grey Ghosts

Joined

·

13,492 Posts

from 2007 manual....should be same:

5.7L/6.1L

NOTE: When installing accessory drive belt onto pulleys, make sure that belt is properly routed and all V-grooves make proper contact with pulleys.

1. Position the drive belt over all pulleys except for the water pump pulley .
2. Rotate tensioner clockwise and slip the belt over the water pump pulley.
3. Gently release tensioner.

  • Motor vehicle Line art Auto part Drawing Automotive engine part

    28.6 KB Views: 15,074

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the reply. Item #6 in your pic looks like it should be totally smooth but mine has a grove worn into it which I think may be he cause of the belt being pushed back two notches on the water pump (item #7).

Each time I re-seat the belt I restart the Jeep and the belt slips back a couple notches on the water pump.

I can now attach pics which I think I just did. Fingers crossed!

  • Tire Auto part Automotive tire Rim Wheel

    60.6 KB Views: 1,389

  • Auto part Tire Automotive tire Rim Muffler

    62.7 KB Views: 917

  • Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire

    49.2 KB Views: 1,038

maxst2

Joined

·

1,478 Posts

Looks like you need a new tension pulley. That's really worn.

robpp

·

Long Live the Grey Ghosts

Joined

·

13,492 Posts

Looks like you need a new tension pulley. That's really worn.

x2 on that. that groove is NG.

head to NAPA. no need to overpay at the stealer.

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the help! What kind of tool removes it? Looks like a tool that is star in shape.

maxst2

Joined

·

1,478 Posts

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Just replaced the pulley and it still jumps two groves towards the engine. Not a clue. Made appointment with the stealership tomorrow afternoon. Any ideas before I take it in? Thanks again for the responses!!!

robpp

·

Long Live the Grey Ghosts

Joined

·

13,492 Posts

are ALL the pulleys spinning freely????

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yes they all look fine. Just after starting it jumps two groves. It appears to run fine but I'm not sure how long that will last since it is off a couple groves. I may try and replace the tension pulley if I can figure out how it comes off and if I can find one tonight.

The water pump was replaced in March. Everything lines up and looks straight until you start the Jeep then the belt jumps and looks crooked. I've double checked the belt path and everything looks fine....

Thanks!!

Redrubicon2004

Joined

·

92 Posts

Can you try with a straight edge to see if all the pulleys are lined up? Sounds like you have a pulley riding on a bent shaft or something that isnt in line with the others.

You should be able to find the problem before taking it to a dealer. If you really put your mind to it, you should be able to solve this issue. Try pulling the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a few times. You might be able to see what is going on. (might have to run the engine for a couple seconds to run the fuel out)

On stuff I cant figure out, I ask a buddy to stop by and look at things....Some times you need another set of eyes to see the obvious.

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Redrubicon2004 - Thanks! I just can't figure it out. Everything appears to line up. The auto parts store did not have the tension pulley and they thought they could only order the whole Serpentine Tension arm with pulley. Which is covered under my extended warranty... But since that arm is so far downstream from where it is coming off the water pump and the tension appears tight I'm not sure that is the problem. I'm not very automobile mechanical and have exhausted my patience/ability. Need to wait a year or two before I give in and get the next Jeep a WK2. I'm in the Sacramento, CA area if anyone is nearby. I make a mean Mai Tai!

Milous

Joined

·

9,281 Posts

"GROOVE JUMPING" (BELT DOES NOT MAINTAIN CORRECT POSITION ON PULLEY)

1. Belt tension either too high or too low (Replace automatic belt tensioner)
2. Belt routed incorrectly (Verify belt routing)
3. Incorrect belt (Replace belt)
4. Pulley(s) not within design tolerance (Replace pulley(s))
5. Foreign object(s) in grooves. (Remove foreign objects from grooves)
6. Pulley misalignment. (Check and replace)
7. Belt cord line is broken. (Replace belt)

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Milous - Thanks! I'm hoping its the automatic belt tensioner as it looks to be covered under my warranty.

Joined

·

27 Posts

Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Update: Just heard from the dealer. It looks like the serpentine belt tensioner needs replacing. The dealer also wants to replace the idle pulley I replaced yesterday as they say the one I got from Kragen is junk. Good news they are both covered under my Jeep extended warranty. Thanks everyone for the advice and help! It really helped me get the belt replaced and narrow things down!

Posted by: marshallbendettie0198781.blogspot.com

Source: https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/wk-serpentine-belt-puley-help.12763/

Post a Comment

0 Comments